Rather than depriving yourself of foods you love, incorporate superfoods into your new lifestyle. Superfoods benefit your body in a variety of ways. Superfoods are jam packed with nutrients. Not only do these nutritional powerhouses fuel your body, they can also fight illness and help prevent disease. By making smart substitutions, you can enjoy foods that fuel your body and are delicious, as well. Try some of these simple diet swaps to incorporate more superfoods into your daily meal plan.
- Oatmeal instead of cold cereal. Oatmeal is high in fiber and has been shown to lower cholesterol levels and aid in digestion.
- Kale and spinach instead of iceberg or romaine. Kale beats out all the rest in terms of nutrition, providing more nutrients than most other fruits and vegetables. Try adding baby kale into your salad.
- Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Greek yogurt is filled with probiotics and protein.
- Toasted nuts instead of potato chips/pretzels. Nuts contain lots of fiber, and other healthy nutrients. Toasting them gives them that satisfying crunch.
- Dark chocolate with almonds instead of a store bought chocolate chip cookie. Dark chocolate, is chock-full of antioxidants, and at 100 gram bar provides 67% of the daily recommended amount of iron, as well as 11 grams of fiber. So, go ahead and indulge!
Try some of these superfood snacks to punch up your nutrition:
Sprouted whole-grain toast with nut butter. Spread toast with 2 tablespoons of almond butter and mashed fruit sprinkled with chia seeds.
Yogurt Parfait. Spoon 1/2 cup of Greek Yogurt in a bowl. Add a tablespoon of granola or sliced almonds, half of a sliced peach.
Whole-Grain Bread with Hummus and Avocado. Spread 1 tablespoon of hummus on a piece of your favorite whole-grain bread. Top it with 1/4 of an avocado, sliced, and some sprouts.
Sweet Potato Fries with Spicy Yogurt. Cook 14 frozen organic sweet potato fries according to the package directions. Mix 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chili seasoning.